What to Do When Your HVAC System Breaks Down
If your heating or AC system breaks down unexpectedly, there are a few things you can do to minimize the damage and make the repair process easier.
If you have time to prepare for the repair, we recommend the following:
- Turn off your thermostat: If your heating or AC system is completely broken, turn off your thermostat to prevent it from running and wasting energy. This will also reduce the strain on your system and prevent it from breaking down again.
- Open your home's windows and doors: If it's not too cold outside, open the windows and doors of your home to let the cool or warm air inside. This will help to prevent your home from getting too hot or cold while the system is being repaired.
- Set your humidifier to the lowest setting: If you have a humidifier, set it to the lowest setting to prevent your home from getting too humid.
- Turn up your thermostat: If you have time before your system breaks down, turn up your thermostat to a few degrees higher than you normally keep it. This will help to prevent your home from getting too cold or hot when your system is turned back on.
If you don't have time to prepare for the repair, we recommend the following:
- Try to determine what is causing your system to break down. Is it a problem with the thermostat, the air filter, the system's components, or something else?
- If you can determine the cause of the issue, try to fix it yourself or call our team for help.
- If you can't determine the cause of the issue, call our team for help.
If you notice your heating or AC system is not working properly, you should call our Decatur emergency HVAC team right away. We can help you to identify the problem and get it fixed as quickly as possible.
We offer emergency repairs for all types of heating and AC systems, including:
- Gas, electric, and oil furnaces
- Gas, electric, and oil boilers
- Central heating systems
- Gas, electric, and oil central AC systems
- Ductless mini-split systems
- Zoned heating and AC systems
If your heating or AC system breaks down unexpectedly, call our emergency HVAC team in Decatur to get the help you need. We offer same-day appointments and emergency services 24/7.
Contact our team today at (256) 474-7550 to schedule emergency services in Decatur and the surrounding areas.