Signs That It’s Time to Replace Your AC
While most air conditioners are designed to last anywhere from 15 to 20 years with proper maintenance, there will come a time when you’ll need to consider replacing your existing AC system. Over time, regular wear and tear can reduce the performance and efficiency of your system.
This can lead to more frequent breakdowns and other problems, including poor cooling throughout your home. While some of these issues can be repaired, it may be in your best interests—and your budget’s best interests—to replace your air conditioner altogether.
Some of the most common signs that it’s time to consider replacing your air conditioner include:
- Frequent AC Problems: Your air conditioner is bound to run into issues from time to time, but you shouldn’t have to schedule service more than once or twice a year. If your AC is constantly breaking down, it might be time to upgrade to a newer, better-performing model.
- Increasingly Costly Repairs: Repeated issues and major breakdowns can cost you a lot of money—sometimes even more money than you would pay for a brand-new air conditioner. If the cost of repairs keeps growing, it’s probably time to think about replacing your AC.
- Reduced or Poor Energy Efficiency: If your AC has stopped working as well as it once did, or if it never worked all that great to begin with, you’ll benefit from upgrading to a newer, more modern system with a high SEER rating.
- Higher-Than-Normal Energy Bills: Have your energy bills gone up recently, even without additional AC use? Poor energy efficiency is likely the culprit. To save money in the long run, you may want to consider replacing your old AC with a new, energy-efficient model.
- Strange, Loud Noises: Loud banging, clanking, wheezing, or screeching can all indicate a serious problem with your air conditioner. Unusual noises are also associated with an aging system. In any case, it might be time for a replacement.
- Water or Refrigerant Leaks: If your AC is leaking water or refrigerant, it probably has an issue that’s too big—and expensive—to repair. At this point, you’ll probably want to consider replacing your air conditioner altogether.
- Fluctuating or Uneven Temperatures: When your AC fails to properly cool your home, it could be due to incorrect sizing, improper installation, or another issue. You may benefit from replacing your current system with a new one that’s correctly sized for your home.
- Poor Indoor Air Quality: Older air conditioners, as well as those that are not properly cleaned and maintained, can lead to poor indoor air quality. This could be potentially harmful to your and your family’s health. It’s a good idea to consider servicing and even replacing your AC.
- Outdated Equipment: If your air conditioner uses R-22 refrigerant, it’s time to replace it. R-22 refrigerant is outdated and known to be extremely harmful to the environment. In fact, R-22 refrigerant was discontinued in 2020, so it’s best to replace your old system as soon as possible.
If you have questions about replacing your existing AC, or if you are unsure whether you’ll benefit more from professional AC repairs or replacement, reach out to Valley Heating & Cooling. We are happy to provide more detailed information so that you can make the right choice for your home.
Up to $3500 in additional savings! *Not to be used in conjunction with other coupons or specials. Valid from Mar 30, 2023 - Dec 30, 2023
In most cases, it takes just a few hours—anywhere from four to eight—to install or replace an air conditioner. However, this depends on several factors, including the type of system being installed/replaced, how accessible it is, the weather, and more. Generally speaking, simpler AC systems, like window units, are easier and faster to install than larger, more complex, split systems.
At Valley Heating & Cooling, we understand that your time is important. Our Tennessee Valley air conditioning installation experts work quickly and efficiently to minimize downtime and restore your home’s comfort. We take the time to make sure everything is done correctly, and we never cut corners. We want to make sure your new AC works well for years to come, which is why we test everything before we leave.
How to Choose the Right Air Conditioning System for Your Home
If you are looking to have a new air conditioner installed, you have a lot of options. When selecting a new AC system, you’ll want to consider things like the size of your home, your comfort preferences, how often you run the AC, the amount of customization you’d like, and more. If you need help picking out a new air conditioner, our expert HVAC technicians can provide honest recommendations based on years of experience and extensive industry expertise.
Some of the most popular air conditioning systems we install include:
- Central air conditioning systems
- Ductless mini-split air conditioners
- Heat pump air conditioners
- Window-unit air conditioners
- Geothermal air conditioning systems
- Floor- and wall-mounted air conditioners
We are proud to be Lennox Premier Dealers and offer a wide range of top-of-the-line products from Lennox and other industry-leading brands. Our technicians are trained in installing all types of AC systems—there is no project or type of system that we cannot handle!